- What is a Project Management System or Project Management Software?
- Is there a common understanding on functionality of such system and if it is needed at all?
- What systems project managers use for projects?
Project Management Software definition in Wikipedia is vague and open to interpretations:
- Project management software has the capacity to help plan, organize, and manage resource tools and develop resource estimates. Depending on the sophistication of the software, it can manage estimation and planning, scheduling, cost control and budget management, resource allocation, collaboration software, communication, decision-making, quality management and documentation or administration systems.
Definition of Project Management Information System (PMIS) in Wikipedia is also far from being exact:
- Project management information system can vary from something as simple as a File system containing Microsoft Excel documents, to a full blown enterprise PMIS software.
- A project management system (PMS) could be a part of a PMIS or sometimes an external tool beside project management information system. PMS is basically an aggregation of the processes, tools, techniques, methodologies, resources, and procedures to manage a project. What a PMIS does is to manage all stakeholders in a project such as the project owner, client, contractors, sub-contractors, in-house staff, workers, managers etc
Wikipedia also proved a list of project manager systems, comparing software not by function but by License, Programming language, if this is web based, on-premises or Saas : Comparison of project management software
Searching for definition of Project Management Software (or System) on google, brings a lot of paid advertisements of tools. Many system offer a free 30 days trial or, as Proggio, can even be free for 1 project and limited number of users.
There is a good collection of Project Management Software @ Capterra with a possibility to benchmark systems by platform, features, client rating etc. Comparison of Celoxis, JIRA, LiquidPlanned and Monday is below as example:
There is also Capterra's benchmark as follows:
Despite there are so many systems and tools, the question about Project Management Software and availability of good systems is still open.